Just because we all inevitably get older does not mean that as soon as we reach our 50′s or 60′s and up that we are no longer interested in love and companionship. In fact, that is when we have the most time to spend enjoying the company of another person. What’s more enjoyable than spending our senior years traveling with someone we love to new and exciting places and truly enjoying our golden years. Seniors have so much to offer and with all of their life experiences they can really make some of the deepest and most meaningful connections with others. We put together this list of 30 tips for dating seniors to help them find what they are looking for in a companion.
Rules for Getting Back Into the Dating Game
While it is always difficult despite your age to start dating seniors typically have experienced divorces, death, or some other significant life events that have gotten them to this point. In fact, as you are reading this it may have been several years since you have had a date, don’t worry it’s just time to get started and here are a few rules:
- Start slow. Don’t force yourself to immediately go up to someone and ask them out on a date. Maybe start off by joining a mixed group of men and women to sharpen up your social skills some.
- Don’t Procrastinate. Starting slow doesn’t mean NEVER. Know the difference! Don’t put off getting started until tomorrow as tomorrow may never come.
- Find your passion. What do you really love doing? Find someone that loves the same things by joining a local group that has a similar interest (book clubs, golf clubs, cooking classes, etc.).
- Don’t be so serious. Don’t feel the need to be serious and proper all the time for goodness sake it’s okay to cut loose every now and again.
- Don’t be so stubborn. Okay just because you haven’t ever liked something doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try it again with someone else. They may teach you a new way to experience what you hated before (whether it is a food you thought you hated or country line dancing).
- Love yourself. Know what your strengths and weaknesses are and appreciate yourself for what you have to offer another person. You really need to be at peace with yourself to fully enjoy the company of another person.
- Re-learn how to have fun. Do you remember how much fun you used to have going out on dates? You can still have all of that and more because this time around you can really appreciate every moment. Keep your memories close to your heart as you make new one’s.
- Don’t overdo it. Okay so remembering the old days you may be tempted to stay out all night and all the dancing and drinking (yes you can still do all of that). Listen to your body and don’t push it too far just because it doesn’t recover like it used to.
- Don’t underdo it. Okay I didn’t say pass on anything that makes you uncomfortable.
- Don’t compare your dates to prior loves. It’s really tempting to bring up your previous spouse and to compare the person you are dating or looking for to them. Don’t box yourself in and remember that everyone is unique and special in their own way.
Online Dating for Seniors
What use the computer and the Internet to find a date? YES! This is what modern seniors do. Especially as baby boomers find their way into the senior category this is getting more and more popular. After all, they have been using computers at work for years and can instant message or email with the best of the younger generation. Here are some great sites and articles to help you as you go online:
- 100 Top Dating Sites - So the absolute best guide to online dating websites is right here at 100bestdatingsites.org. Several sites listed are specific to seniors.
- Matches Made on the Web – CBS News did a great article on how seniors are turning to online dating to meet new friends. Read this to see if online dating might be for you too.
- Online Dating Safety Tips - Online dating sites and social sites in general are great but this article will give you some information on how to be safe before you create your online profiles.
- Online Dating Success Tips - This is a great article to help you not only be safe, but to be successful with online dating.
- SeniorFriendFinder – Sometimes you are just looking for a good friend and that can evolve into more. If you just want to get started you might first try a site like this one.
Offline Dating for Seniors
Of course you can still meet people in more traditional ways (outside of cyberspace). There are tons of opportunities to meet new people around you if you just open up your eyes and hearts to the potential. Here are a few good ideas:
- Community center - For those of you that live in a senior community or assisted living facility the community center usually offers all kinds of great activities and opportunities to mingle with others.
- The gym – Regardless of your age, the gym is a great place for meeting people plus it’s healthy for you too. One great idea is to join a swimming or aerobics class at the gym for people your age (they probably have more than you can imagine).
- Grandchildren events – Surprise you are not the only grandparent out there. Attending events for your grandkids (sports, music, anything) is a great way to meet other grandparents and spark new relationships.
- Volunteer in your community – It is very common for other seniors to generously give their time to the community. You can go to VolunteerMatch.com to find a local project that could use your skills and help.
- Church or Sunday School – Attending church or Sunday School should not be exclusively about meeting other people but first about worshiping and following your religion. With that said, churches are the perfect place to meet people that share your beliefs.
- Continuing education class – Another great way to meet people and get guarantee that you get something out of it is to take classes at the local community college or education center. You may learn a new language, learn to cook in a new way, or even attend art classes.
- Dance class – Whether you love the polka or country line dancing, dance classes are there for you in your community and a great way to meet new people that will naturally lead to social events.
- Book club – Book clubs are great because it is yet another way to live, learn, and meet new people. At a minimum you will get to enjoy some great literature.
- BINGO – Okay you knew this was going to come up, but it’s fun what can I say? Regardless of where you live there are probably several local bingo parlors and events for you to join.
- Cruises – There are several excellent senior cruises that you can go on to exciting destinations. Why not see a new part of the World while you attempt to meet someone special. These are so much fun that if you haven’t been on one, you really need to give it a try.
Whatever you do remember to enjoy your years as a senior (you have earned some fun). You may be getting older, but so what? Everyone is getting older and can certainly relate to that. Why not use some of these resources and tips to make sure you are getting the most out of life (not that you can’t be single and loving every minute of it). Enjoy, live, and stay true to yourself and your beliefs and remember these are your golden years so put some polish on them and let them shine.